NAMI Metro – Oakland, Wayne, Macomb Counties in Southeastern Michigan
NAMI Metro is grass roots, all volunteer non-profit organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for persons with serious mental illness and their families through, advocacy, support and education. In addition, NAMI Metro promotes research that will lead to improvements for all those diagnosed and living with a mental illness. It is our endeavor to erase the stigma that is associated with mental illness and we will not rest until mental illness is accepted the same as any other illness.
NAMI Metro members and friends work tirelessly to meet shared NAMI goals through many activities. These include:
- Family and Consumer Peer Education and Support
- NAMI Metro’s education programs include Families in Action, Family to Family, Monthly General Meetings, In Our Own Voice, Family Basics, Support Groups, FaithNet, Speakers Bureau and various other programs.
- Public Education and Information, referrals, and education to our website visitors each day, the NAMI Metro Help Line fields requests every day. Public awareness activities, including Mental Health 101 seminars.
- In Our Own Voice helps dispel the stigma associated with mental illness and encourages early intervention and treatment.
- Advocacy on Behalf of People Living with Mental Illness. We have advocates on the federal, state, and local levels for nondiscriminatory and equitable public and private-sector policies, as well as for federally-funded research for treatment and cures for mental illness. NAMI advocates for policies that are reflective of the best economic, science, recovery, and systems choices.
- Public Events That Raise Funds and Awareness
- NAMIWalks is NAMI’s signature fundraising event. NAMI Metro joins with thousands of concerned citizens across the state to Walk for the Mind of America to raise funds and awareness.
- Skins and Pins is a grassroots fundraising event that benefits NAMI Metro and the work they do.